Friday, May 1, 2009

my hobby

When I got back from my first Iraq deployment in 2004, a friend of mine invited me to come down to a hobby store and watch a game of War Hammer 40k. I was interested, I thought that the game had potential. However, I was more grounded in reality. I was always a student of history and found World War Two interested me the most. That's when I discovered Flames of War.
Flames of War, (FoW) is a World War Two table top miniature war game. It is set in 15mm scale and is supported by rulebooks and an online forum. Battlefront is the company that produces the game. Their headquarters is out of New Zealand. Most hobby stores carry their model kits.

I made my first purchase in June of 2004. It was a StuG III G German Assault Gun. I already liked putting model planes together and I thought why not give it a shot. The model was easy to assemble and came with a piece of paper showing how the model was put together. I supplied my own glue, let dry, and then painted. I was so pleased with the model, that one assault gun turned into a platoon of tanks, then a platoon of infantry then American Paratroopers so on and so on. During this time I talked a friend of mine into the hobby and every weekend we got together and played a few games.

Currently my completed lists are: US Tank Company 2500pts, US Armored Rifle Company 2500pts, US Parachute Rifle Company 2500pts. German Panzer Company 2500pts, German Panzer Grenadier Company 2500pts, German SS Panzer Company 2500pts. British Rifle Company 2500pts, British Armored Guards Company 2500pts.
and still building....
I am working on German Fallschrimjager Company, British Air landing Company, and still adding to the British Armored Guards.

I am by no means a Master Builder or model detailer. All of my models are just paint and play. All of my scenery is basic and not fancy. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures, discuss tactics, and post After Action Reports of my battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment